Visual Art FAQs

Major or Minor in Visual Art

It is possible to construct a program that will fulfill all the requirements of the BA in Visual Art and the BA in Art History within the standard 120 credit undergraduate degree. It is best if such a program combination is planned early on, otherwise it might require additional time to complete. Likewise, combining a BFA major in visual art with a second major in art history is possible, but may require a slightly extended program of study due to the more intensive nature of the BFA program.

A maximum of 6 credits of art education courses may be applied to the 300-level VISA studio requirement for the BA visual art major. Only EDCP 303 (Ceramic Design and Pedagogical Approaches, 6 credits) and EDCP 305 (Digital Media in Arts Education, 3 credits) may be applied. Note that EDCP courses cannot be used to fulfill requirements for the BFA visual art major.

To qualify for a studio space you must be a third- or fourth-year VISA major or honours student taking a full studio course load. Due to their studio-intensive schedules, BFA students have first priority in obtaining studio spaces. Interested students must attend the Undergraduate Studio Space Assigning Meeting, normally held in the second week of classes in September. Students will be notified about this meeting via email and posters.

Undergraduate Advisor Greg Gibson can be reached by:

Absolutely: all UBC students are welcome to take 100-level VISA courses (so long as their primary program allows it). Any students who then meet the prerequisites may take 200-level VISA courses.

If you’ve completed the 200-level prerequisites and wish to take a 300- or 400-level VISA course, you can request registration in upper level VISA courses. For details, see the VISA Advising page.

Of course. UBC’s Go Global exchange office is always working with AHVA to help visiting students to explore our courses whenever possible. Visiting students are welcome to take our courses upon being accepted to UBC, providing they either request our foundation courses of VISA 110, VISA 180, or VISA 183, or obtain permission from the department to enrol in a course at a higher level.

Enrolment in 100-level visual art studio courses does not require a portfolio review or the submission of transcripts to our department.

To enroll in a visual art course at the 200, 300, or 400 level as a visiting student:

  • You must also obtain permission from the Department of Art History, Visual Art and Theory.
  • UBC’s Go Global will request additional materials demonstrating your experience in visual art courses, which they will then send to our department for review.
  • At least one visual art faculty member will review your materials and courses requested before confirming your eligibility to Go Global.

If you have questions about our courses, you are welcome to contact our Undergraduate Advisor, Greg Gibson.

See Advising for information on declaring a VISA major, minor, or honours.

“Better” is a relative term, and depends entirely upon your future goals and study preferences.

Either degree is an excellent and well-recognized degree in all parts of the world. The main difference is that the BFA is a more specialized, studio-intensive program, while the BA in visual art is a more flexible degree that more easily combines with second majors and/or allows for more study in other subject areas. For more details about the programs, please refer to the online descriptions: