As an applicant to the Visual Art program at UBC, you are entering an exciting time in your pursuit of creative knowledge. The supplementary application for the BFA Visual Art program gives you an opportunity to show us some of your art and tell us why you think our program is the best choice for you.
Two components make up the full supplementary application: a questionnaire and a portfolio. These are intended to support your primary application to UBC Admissions (online). If any component of the supplementary application is missing, your application will be incomplete and cannot be considered.
This supplementary application is due February 10, 2017.
The guidelines listed here are also included in the online form. Please follow the guidelines provided, and attach media files as indicated in the requirements below.
You will be expected to answer 3 of the 5 questions below. Your responses must be typed single-spaced in 12 pt. standard font and fit on two 8 ½ x 11 pages, with a maximum of 200 words per question.
- Who is your favourite artist and why? How has their work influenced yours?
- How does your art relate to the world, or how is it influenced by the world?
- Write a job description or job posting for the role of an artist.
- Describe a time when your materials transformed or changed the development of one of your artworks.
- What would you consider important ideas in your work? Why are you interested in them?
- Do you consider your audience when making your work? How does this influence your process?
Your portfolio will showcase up to 6 pieces of finished artwork, in at least two different media, displayed as an image, as a moving image, or as audio. Media can include anything from painting and drawing, to photography, moving image, book works, printmaking, performance, sound, sculpture, installation, or other experimental media. Sculptural, performance, book, and installation works should be shown from two or three viewpoints.
Specific file requirements:
- Image files must be JPEG, PDF, or PNG file types in RGB mode with a data size limit of 1.5 MB for each image.
- Audio files must be MP3 file format, no larger than 3 MB each.
- Video files must be MP4 or MOV file types, a maximum of 30 fps, maximum size of 1920 x 1080, and no larger than 8 MB each.
On a separate page, provide information about each work included in your portfolio: title, year completed, dimensions, medium, an indication of whether it is an assignment or your own invention, and a 30-word description of the work. This summary should not exceed one 8 ½ x 11 page.
403 – 6333 Memorial Road
Department of Art History, Visual Art and Theory
email@example.com | 604-822-1282